About the library

Yesterday…

The building at 230 East Main Street thenwas built in 1929 as a public library. With the donation of the lot in 1922 by G. H. and Margaret P. Nunnelly and a fundraising effort by the local woman’s club, the Scott County Public Library began serving a community of 14,400.

Library service continued to grow…

1964 — Addition of a children’s library on the lower floor
1966 — Addition of bookmobile service
1969 — Establishment of a special taxing district
1974 — Addition to and renovation of the building
1975 — Establishment of the Friends of the Scott County Public Library
It was not until the 1990s that the need for a larger facility resulted in the 1994 petition referendum for an increased library tax rate. With the success of this campaign, library service began its first steps to become what we know as library service today.

Today…

The currenownt library building was built in the year 2000, serving a community of 33,061. With adequate space the library has been able to enhance and increase its total library program, which includes a larger collection of materials and expanded programming for adults, teens, and children. Currently, the facility continues to serve a population of over 47,000. The Scott County Public Library is proud to be your door to lifelong learning and entertainment.

 

 

 

George M. Newell Flagpole Dedication

July 18, 2010 flagpole1 flagpole2

From Earlene Arnett, Director: “Today we gather to dedicate this flagpole in memory of George Newell. How fitting today is July 18th, the birthday of George. He was not only dedicated to his family and job, but also his community and his country. So not only is the day appropriate but dedicating this flagpole represents George’s passion to fight for what he believed in. The SCPL Board of Trustees, library staff, and Friends of the SCPL are honored to be a part of this recognition.”

We wish to extend a special thank you to all who contributed in order to make this special dedication happen.

flagpole4