Public Internet PCs
The library has 25 PC-based computers in the Public Internet Computer area for patrons to use.
- To use the computers, a patron needs a library card in good standing. Guest passes will be issued to out-of-town patrons with a valid drivers license for one time use. Out of town patrons that regularly visit the library must obtain a library card to use the computers.
- There is no charge to use the computers.
- The computers have the following programs installed: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, Access), GIMP, Adobe PDF Reader, and common Internet browsers. Installation of software or changes to the configuration of the computers is prohibited.
- Patrons can print from the computers. They can print documents they created on the computer or documents they access via their email or removable storage. Printing costs 10 cents for black and white copies and 50 cents for color per page. Copies over $5 may be paid for with a credit card. Copies under $5 must be paid for with change or bills.
In-Library Laptop Checkout
The Technology Hub has 5 laptops for checkout within the library on a first come, first serve basis—the perfect solution for group projects or simply because you would rather use a computer while sitting in a quiet, soft chair or by the fireplace in the Café. The laptops have access to the internet, Microsoft Office, GIMP, and all library research websites.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have a library card in good standing (no overdue materials or fines in excess of $10).
- You must show your library card AND your current government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, passport, etc.) each time you check out a laptop. The photo ID will be held until you return the laptop.
- Before checking out a laptop the first time, you must sign a copy of the Laptop Checkout Policy and Patron Agreement, which will be kept on file. A note will be placed in your library record stating that you have laptop checkout privileges.
- Each laptop user must login to the Public Computer Management System (Envisionware) using their own library card number and PIN. Laptops may be checked out for up to one hour.
- Laptop checkout ends one hour before the library closes and all laptops must be returned 15 minutes before the library closes.
- Laptops may not be removed from the library building.
- Please keep the computer with you at all times. If the laptop is stolen or damaged while checked out on your library card, you will be held responsible for all costs involved up to the maximum amount of $1000.00.
- Laptops have the ability to print using the wireless printing available to patrons in the library.
- No software may be loaded onto the laptops. You may use flash drives, digital cameras, mp3 players and other storage media with the laptops only if they do not require any software to be loaded on the laptop.
- Patrons wishing to listen to sound files must provide their own headphones set to do so.
- You must comply with the Public Computer and Internet Use Policy. If you are banned from using the library’s computers due to a violation of this policy, you may not check out a laptop.
- The library is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to or from your storage media. The library is not responsible for any files left on any computer or for loss or damage to your files or storage media.
- The laptops are Virtual Machines. They have no internal operating system and cannot function outside the library environment. When they are turned back in, the Virtual Machine is deleted and a new one is created before the laptop is checked out to the next patron. In this process, all data saved on the laptop is irrevocably deleted. Save your files to removable media, such as USB hard drives.
- Laptops must be returned to the Technology Hub as soon as the reservation period has ended. IF YOU DO NOT RETURN THE LAPTOP ON TIME, YOU WILL BE FINED $5.00 FOR EVERY HOUR OR PORTION OF AN HOUR, BEGINNING IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE TIME THE LAPTOP WAS DUE, UP TO THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF $1000.00.
- Upon return, the borrower must remain at the Technology Hub while the library staff check in the laptop to make sure all equipment is accounted for and no damage has occurred.
- If any technical problem with the laptop occur during use, the borrower should report the problem to the staff at the Technology Hub immediately.